Some lessons from 2020


I can't believe 2021 is already here! It feels so surreal given 2020 has been such a challenging year for me. At the end of April, just when we were preparing to welcome the blessed month of Ramadan 1441, my beloved dad had tested positive for Covid-19. He was working as a consultant. He was almost 70. He had to be hospitalised as he was struggling to breathe. He was on the ventilator for more than two months. Several times, hospital staffs called us to inform us of his critical state and to be prepared for the worse. Multiple organ failures, long days and nights of just waiting , fear of the unknown...2020 was definitely a roller coaster of so many mixed emotions for me and my loved ones. But my faith helped me so much during that difficult phase of my life. I don't know how I would have survived without the immense Mercy and Love of my Rabb, my Creator, Allah Subhanahu wa ta'ala. I would like to share the lessons I have learnt through my ordeal of 2020 and how I would like to spend year 2021 based on these precious lessons (blessons = blessings+lessons) I have learnt in sha Allah.

Lesson 1 : All I need is the company of Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala) 


Nothing can help us or calm us when we are going through a hardtime. Only refering back to our Rabb can give us solace. Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala have enabled me to connect to His Magestic Words, the Qur'an during that difficult time. I felt so connected to His Words that I thought I am the subject of the Qur'an. It is talking to me ! Telling me to hang in there. And that's how we should approach the Qur'an, I beleive. It is a message of guidance to every single one of us. It is a much-needed letter to me with so much love and concern for me! Is there any doubt in this book ? As a believer, we don't have any doubt in the Qur'an. We know that it is indeed the blessed Words of our Lord. He Himself tells us at the begining of the Qur'an that there is no uncertainty in His Book. So why as believers, we don't connect to the Qur'an on a daily basis? Why do I rush back to reciting it, only when I am facing any trouble? Why don't I always have a strong connection to the Words of my Loving Rabb? I felt so ashamed and thought I must change my attitude towards the Qur'an. I hope to build a good and strong relation with the Qur'an. I want the Qur'an to be my daily companion, my best friend . I want to spend more quality time with the Qur'an by reading, reflecting, reciting and most importantly implementing the lessons in my daily life in sha Allah bi'idnillahi ta'ala. May Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala enable us to be among the people of the Qur'an, ameen!

Lesson 2 : Be grateful and maintain an attitude of gratitude




No matter what we go through, there is always plenty to be grateful for, alhamdulillah. Gratitude is a very important virtue to have and maintain on a daily basis. It helps me to appreciate every single blessing Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala has gifted me. We don't deserve anything. That's why I said gift. Everything is a gift from my Rabb. When we appreciate the countless gifts He has given us, life becomes so beautiful and meaningful for us.When we are gratfeful to Him, He even gives us more ! How Merciful and Giving is my Rabb Subhanallah! During the stressful and painful phase, my loved ones have supported me so much with their constant support and immense kindness alhamdulillah. May Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala reward them with the best , ameen! I felt like our beloved Prophet Ibrahim AS who was thrown into the fire but he felt peaceful and calm in the midst of the fire! I can't thank Him enough for all the blessings He has surrounded me with during my hardship! I hope to be grateful at every moment of my life in sha Allah. May Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala enable us to be among His grateful slaves, ameen !

Lesson 3 : Be kind, gentle and helpful to everyone


Never underestimate the value of kindness.What people tend to remember is how we treat them. Am I kind and gentle to people around me? A simple act of kindness can change someone's whole day. Kindness generates more kindness. What sort of legacy would I like to leave behind? Will my loved ones remember me as a gentle and helpful person ? One of my greatest weaknesses is I can become very harsh. I feel so blessed to be surrounded by very kindhearted and gentle souls alhamdulillah. The more I receive their precious kindness the more I feel inspired to reciprocate it in sha Allah. I also hope to be in service of others in sha Allah. Our beloved Rasulullah Sallallahu Alaihe wa sallam was always in service of people (khidma). He is sent as a Mercy to the humanity. May Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala enable us to be among the kind, gentle and very helpful people, ameen!

Lesson 4 : Be always positive and generate positivity 


Among all the negativity, given the current Covid situation, I must be positive. If I have Allah Subhanahu wa ta'ala with me, I can't let any negative thought affect me. I need to help others to feel positive too. By being there for others, we can help each other during this difficult time. The more positive we are , the better in sha Allah! Our faith teaches us to inculcate a positive mindset. The Qur'an tells us numerous stories of the prophets to inspire us to be positive and remind each other the power of positivity. Feeling hopeless is acually a sin. Our beloved prophet Muhammad sallallahu alaihe wa sallam's Seerah (Lifestory/biography) teaches us to be always positive and hope for a happy future. He is send as a Mercy to us. When we deeply study his amazing life, we find somany lessons of hope and positivity . One of the greatest blessings in 2020 for me was to join a Seerah bookclub where I met some very passionate sisters who have helped me so much to connect to Seerah in a meaningful way alhamdulillah. The more deeply we can study the seerah, the more positive we can become in sha Allah. 

Lesson 5 : Hold on to precious teachers


My teachers are very precious to me. I can't thank my Rabb enough for enabling me to be a student/seeker of knowledge alhamdulillah. Everything on this earth is cursed apart from the beautiful teachers who remind us of the ultimate truth (Al-Haqq) , the students of knowledge and the circles of knowledge. Our faith is based on knowledge. The true people of knowledge are the most Godconscious people on this earth and they are the most righteous among the humanity. They are also the most helpful and generous to the creations of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala due to their intense love for Him. When someone falls in love with his/her Creator, he/she loves His creations too. My Rabb has enabled me to spend time in their precious company alhamdulillah. They always remind me of my Lord and His beautiful attributes. They help me to connect to His Book, the Qur'an and His beloved Messenger, Rasulullah sallallahu alaihe wa sallam. My ultimate teacher is my Rabb, Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala and He is the One Who facilitates for me to learn and strive for His sake alhamdulillah. So all praise belongs to Him, subhanahu wa ta'ala. May Allah reward my precious teachers, accept their efforts, preserve them and reward them with the best , ameen ! May Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala enable us to be among the people of learning and the people of striving, ameen! May we honour our teachers and learn from them, ameen!

May Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala enable me to remember these 5 lessons and enable me to act accordingly, Ameen! May this year be a year of endless blessings for all of us, ameen! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tajweed notes on makharij

Five years Alhamdulillah :-)

A precious bond